A file with the M4A file extension is an MPEG-4 Audio file. M4A files are unprotected. Protected files such as songs downloaded from iTunes store usually have an M4P file extension. Since M4A is developed by Apple, therefore, you will get no problem to play it with iTunes, QuickTime or transfer and view on iPhone, iPad, iPod or stream to Apple TV, however, you may fail to open it with Windows or Android OS based devices. To fix this format information issue, it would be a good option to convert M4A to MP3.
Best tool to convert M4A to MP3 on Mac
There are many Mac applications on the market can assist you to complete the job. However, if you are looking for a powerful yet simple to use application, we highly recommend Pavtube Video Converter for Mac to you. The program is superior to all its competitors in the following aspects:
– Batch load multiple M4A files for conversion at one time
– Convert M4A to not only MP4, but also other popular audio formats such as WMA, WAV, AAC, AC3, OGG, MP2, FLAC, MKA
– Extract MP3 from video files with 4K/2K/HD/SD with various different compression codec and container file formats
– Convert M4A to MP3 with almost no quality loss
– Flexibly adjust output audio codec, bit rate, sample rate, channels, etc to get better output audio quality
– Edit output audio files with the trim function to cut off audio to leave only you unwanted specific parts, merge separate audio clips into one file.
– Perfect compatibility with the new macOS Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mac OS X Yosemite, Mac OS X Mavericks
– Available on both Windows and Mac OS.
– Keeps constant update with perfect support for the new Windows and Mac OS.
Step by Step to Convert M4A to MP3 on Mac
Step 1: Load M4A files.
Download the free trial version of the program. Launch it on your computer. Click “File” menu and select “Add Video/Audio” or click the “Add Video” button on the top tool bar to import source M4A audio files into the program.
Step 2: Define the output format.
Clicking the Format bar, from its drop-down list, output “MP3 – MPEG Layer-3 Audio(*.mp3)” under “Common Audio” main category.
Step 3: Merge or Trim audio files.
Trim off unwanted audio clips
In the video editor window, choose the “Trim” tab and this tab is selected by default when the editing window appears. You can use the trim function to cut off unwanted parts from start and end. You can either drag pointers on the process bar or set exact time point in Start and End boxes to set to leave only your wanted audio parts.
Merge audio files
By ticking off “Merge into one file” option behind “Settings” button, you can merge the ticked audio files in list into one single file.
Step 3: Start the conversion process.
After all setting is completed, hit the “Convert” button at the right bottom of the main interface to begin the conversion process from M4A to MP3 conversion process.
When the conversion is finished, click “Open Output Folder” icon on the main interface to open the folder with generated audio files.
If you are looking for a free application to convert M4A to MP3, you can download Pavtube Free Video DVD Converter Ultimate, which is 100% free, clean and safe.