There are more and more Windows 8.1 tablets like Surface 2, Surface Pro 2, Surface Pro 3, etc. hit the market along with the updated Windows 8.1 system. Windows 8.1 advances Windows 8 and Windows 7 in many ways, so, if conditions permit, there is no reason why it should not to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.
And you may be one of the Surface 8.1 tablet owners in this prevalence, then you may ask the question “how to watch DVD movies and videos on Surface 8.1 tablets and PCs more safely, conveniently and portably” as below:
1. I am desperately looking for solutions to watch DVDs via an external DVD drive on my Surface
2. I know there are many others with the same wish (and we have some customers at our company that want this too!)!!
3. With Windows 7, DVD playing was supported natively by the OS. Unfortunately, MS removed it with Windows 8.1, without the possibility to add them again.
Well, in this article, I don’t generally do reviews but I did want to share the tips and tricks with all of you how to play DVD on Surface 8.1 tablet.
At first, to watch DVD movies on Surface 8.1 tablet, you will need to rip and convert DVD to a common supported video format by Surface. Then a DVD to Surface 8.1 ripper is badly needed. You can search the related key words on line, and many results would be available. Here, Pavtube DVDAid is recommended to accomplish your task in a few mouse clicks! With it, you can fast convert DVD movies to Surface 8.1 supported MP4 video files with excellent output video quality. If you are using a Mac and want to convert DVD movies to Surface 8.1 on Mac, please turn to DVDAid for Mac.
How to rip your purchased DVD movies to Surface 8.1 Tablets in clicks
Step 1. Run DVD to Surface 8.1 Converter; load DVD movies
Click the disc button to browse and import DVD disc from ROM, or load the ISO/IFO files that you want to convert for viewing on Windows 8.1-based surface devices.
Pavtube DVDAid will detect and list the main title (the full length of this movie with all the chapters) and check it by default. So just keep it untouched and let’s move on to Step 2.
Step 2. Choose export format
You can click the dropdown menu between “Format” and “Settings”, you will see many presets sorted of different device models and programs.
Here “Windows -> Microsoft Surface Windows RT/Pro H.264 Video (*.mp4)” is a suitable format for Surface 8.1 tablets. Or if you have other Windows 8.1 tablets, you can choose a suitable video format from “Windows” catalogue depending on your device.
Step 3. Adjust specs or edit video before conversion (Optional)
Click “Settings” button to configure target file quality. After entering “Profile Settings” panel, you are allowed to adjust video and audio parameters such as bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, etc..
If you think the video size this not suitable for your Surface 8.1 Tablet, you can first choose any one of the provided type, then change the settings. Generally speaking, the higher video bit rate will result in the larger output file size, and vice versa.
Step 4. Start conversion
Now hit the big red “Convert” to start converting purchased DVD movies to MP4 with best settings for playback on different Surface 8.1 tablets.
After the conversion, you can get the converted DVD rips in *.mp4 format by clicking the “Open” or “Open output folder” icon.
1. Not a Surface 8.1 user? It doesn’t matter, Pavtube DVDAid also supports “common” video formats like MOV, M4V, MP4 and has presets for all the models of iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Apple TV, or Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note, Xperia Series, BlackBerry, etc., so you should be able to create files compatible with your Android based devices and other Windows devices.
2. I used another Pavtube program called ByteCopy to backup my DVDs without quality loss. Meanwhile, several audio tracks and subtitles are preserved so I can switch language when watching movies.
3. If you want to convert all kinds of videos (including MKV, AVI, Tivo, VOB, FLV, MPG, DVD, Blu-ray, ISO, IFO, etc.), a software can be completely solved, it is Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate.